It’s been a long time since I’ve recorded anything in this blog. I think doing a gardening blog is a lot like gardening–intense interest and work at the beginning of the season but becoming tired of gardening and doing the blog as the season winds down. I know, however, that when the seed catalogs begin to appear in early winter that my interest in gardening will resume.
It’s been a great and long gardening season. I’ve still got carrots in the garden that will need to be taken in and placed in plastic bags in the fridge. I’ve transplanted two basils, one parsley plant and some oregano into clay pots in the solarium. I have some new basil coming up from seed in the same area and am waiting for cilantro seeds to sprout. The other herbs–thyme, rosemary, sage, marjoram, chives are doing well inside.
A few days ago, after a couple frosts, Carolyn and I picked the seven Brussels sprouts plants, blanched and froze the sprouts into 6 freezer bags. If the plants hadn’t been nibbled in the spring by the woodchuck and if I’d sprayed earlier in the fall with Bacillus thuringensis for cabbage worms that were eating the leaves we probably would have had bigger sprouts. These are nice however.
We’ve used up all our garlic already so I planted lots more for next year. The Ailsa Craig Exhibition onions look fine as do the various squash and the potatoes. I pulled up the rutabagas which will supply additional heft for potato soup this winter. Tried to make juice concentrate out of wild rose hips but got very little juice.
The cover crop of annual rye looks great. Next spring I’ll be digging up the soil in the garden to make “permanent” raised beds not bounded by wood planks however. I think I’ve compacted the soil too much this year so I want to have beds where I don’t walk that are surrounded by paths. Hope I can get this done.
The fall lettuces in the cold frame look good. The Swiss chard and what remains of the kale look fine but I doubt if we’ll eat them. The parsley and cilantro haven’t succumbed to frost. Have taken out all the marigolds and zinnias that froze.
I put up monofilament lines around the orchard hoping they’ll deter deer. Did put tree wrap and hardware cloth wire around the fruit trees. Have to put up some wire cages around cedar trees and raspberries yet. Am getting wood cut for the fireplace. Aaron helped me take in the dock and the rowboat about 2 weeks ago and also helped me blow more insulation into the attic over the bedrooms. After I put away the lawn furniture and rake up the oak leaves (which had anthracnose last year) we’ll be set for winter.
We moved the honeyberries into the orchard. They were obstructing the view of the ferns and the yew by the house and they’ll get more sun in the orchard. Here are some pictures.